Educators contribute to the profession.

It is impossible for a teacher to stay relevant, humble and empathetic with students if we do not put ourselves in their shoes. As a teacher, it is the philosophy to approach my profession as a life long learner, demonstrating to my students by modelling. Some areas of which I have furthered my professional development in the last few months have been in the areas of “women in sport” and “concussion awareness” to promote my Physical Education teaching and coaching approaches.

I find that having knowledge in the oppression that still occurs with female in sport not only occurs on the field or in sport, but also can be seen in the classroom. I found myself noticing patterns from the court into class, where many of my extroverts who wanted to determine the structure of class were male, and many of the students who supported those suggestions were female. Once we developed independence and confidence with females in sport, I was amazed to see the transformation to the classroom where I found many of my female students were advocating for their learning, disagreeing with the loudest voice in the class, and exuberating a confidence of “I can” from sport to academics. It helps promote equity in the classroom, student confidence and a profound respect among the culture of the classroom as well as on the court of the gym.

For the concussion course I just took, Concussion A